Monday, August 13, 2018

What's in A Name? (Why Choosing Character Names isn't As Easy As You Think)

One of my favorite parts of writing is choosing character names. It's also one of the most challenging. Just when I think I've settled on the perfect name I discover (usually through polling friends or from beta readers) that the chosen name doesn't work for them, usually because they have a history with it.

Take for example the name Linda. One of my favorite people in the world is named Linda. However at least three of my long-term relationships have been with men who've longingly recounted the torrid, sometimes-unrequited love affair with their Linda. One of my lovers had two special Lindas. All the Lindas in these stories are drop-dead gorgeous, highly intelligent, sexy, hilarious women who've left an indelible mark on these men's version of the ideal women. There's no way I'd not unpack my Linda baggage if I chose it for a character. 

In THIS I KNOW, claiming to be inspired by God, Reverend Carter "divines" names for his newborn children. 

"Mama told us that after each baby was born Daddy held his fat black Bible over our tiny bodies and the Lord bestowed upon him a name for his children. To tell you the truth, I don’t think Daddy was listening very well. Or maybe God changed His plans, because none of us fit our given names except for maybe Hope, who is the oldest."

I loved choosing the names that Daddy gives his daughters. I knew I wanted him to screw up because it was important to underscore the ego hidden within the act of projecting personalities upon his progeny. Ironically, as a writer, I am the all-
powerful name god and I got to name the reverend. I sometimes imagined him standing behind me as I wrote. Henry? Really? Pretty sure I'd be a James or a John, good strong names. (Insert author's maniacal laugh.)

In my next book (CLOVER BLUE/June 2019) the characters live in a spiritual commune in 1970s Northern California. Each member chooses a new name for themselves when they join--except for the children, who are named by the guru. The "Olders" pick names like Coyote, Jade, Wave, Willow, Sirona, Gaia, Lotus and Doobie. The children, referred to as "Youngers" are named Harmony, Moon, Aura, Rain and, of course, Clover Blue. You can probably imagine how fun it was to name them, right? Yes, but you wouldn't believe the list of outrageous, often horribly ridiculous hippie-dippy names I waded through before settling on this ragtag cast of characters who live in the woods without plumbing or electricity.

I feel fortunate to have been gifted with a unique name by my mother. Her name was VaLoyce, an uncommon name that rolls off the tongue and sounds exotic. I like to think my mom chose "Eldonna" for me because she believed I was the child who would fully embody such a powerful name. She once told me that she went to high school with an Eldonna and always liked the name, but I call bullshit on that. I think by the time she gave birth to her fifth daughter she ran out of girl names. She probably figured I'd adopt the shortened "Donna" but I never took to it outside our home. I was always Eldonna at school and in the workplace. I also rejected the suggestion from a well-meaning professional to use my nickname Ellie as my author name because "it's more approachable." To my siblings I am Donna. To many of my friends, I'm Ellie. But in my blood and bones, I am Eldonna. Sounds a little melodramatic to say that, but hey, Eldonna is a serious damn name.


What about you? What are your favorite or least-favorite names? Do you like your name? If you could change your name would you? What would you change it to? Have you ever stopped reading a book because you hated the character's name? 



*****************
This is a non-monetized blog. If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll share it. If you want to help support an author working on her next book, I hope you'll consider purchasing my books. Thank you! 

THIS I KNOW
LOST IN TRANSPLANTATION


4 comments:

  1. I was named after my mother so I grew up with nicknames. I just wanted a name of my own and I wanted to be Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy, My sister was named after my mother and always used her middle name. I have to ask, why Rachel? What does that name represent for you? I find names so fascinating!

      Delete
  2. Let's see...my name is Gina (Gina Marie). One friend called me Jean years ago. I corrected her. She replied that I call her Kath instead of Kathy so she thought she would shorten my name. Well, I told her I did not like the name and forever since she has called me Gina and I still call her Kath. In the last few years I have had a dear friend call me Jean. I still do not like it but refuse to correct her. I have some people call me Gina Marie and I really like that. I guess it stems back to senior high school and having only 1 that I can recall and she was always Mary Lynne and the ever cute Elly May from the The Hillbillies also comes to mind. I thought that was just a little bit special.
    Have I ever wanted to change my name and I would say no. But when I was pregnant 3 times, I had the joy of picking out not only a boy name but a girl name as well. I must have chosen 12 names each and spent a coupe weeks crossing out names. I thought that was difficult, it would take me a month of Sundays to come up with names for a book. If you ever need help with choosing names and need some research done, you cancall the name buster "me" but be sure to give me a few weeks per name needed... "Gina Marie" Your classmate from the good ole Shelby High School Class of 1977. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Gina I've ever known has been kind and creative. It must come with the name. ;) xo

      Delete