Monday, April 9, 2018

Wading in The Wings

Living in the present moment is the recurring baptism of the soul, forever purifying every new day with a new you.” ― Alaric HutchinsonLIVING PEACE

Of all the days that stand out from my childhood, the times we gathered at Stony Lake for baptism services feel the most visceral. It was a big deal in our little church and nearly all of our small congregation attended. What I remember most clearly is my dad's sun-deprived white feet under rolled-up pant legs as he stood at the water's edge, holding his weathered Bible in one hand while he spoke. It didn't matter that the pages flapped in the summer breeze; he knew those words by heart, as did most of us.

I'm not Southern or Baptist but something deep and holy stuck to my bones from those annual gatherings at the lake. Two of my favorite  scenes in THIS I KNOW are a spirited community baptism that takes place at Cherry Lake and a much more personal one that occurs in a small backyard pond. To this day I much prefer baths to showers. One of the first
things I did when I bought my current home was to drop an antique claw foot bathtub in the yard under the trees. It is my sanctuary. Showers are for rinsing; the bath is more of a prayer, a purification of mind and spirit that transcends mere physical cleansing.

Waiting for my book to come out reminds me of those languid summer days wishing my dad would wrap up his long-winded sermon so I could watch him dunk people in the lake. As I count down the last several days to the long-awaited release date, I'm reminded of the words we used to sing as we gathered in the long shadows of those sandy Lake Michigan dunes. 

When peace like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It's been two years since I gleefully signed a contract with my publisher for THIS I KNOW, a story about a young girl trying to navigate her kaleidoscopic understanding of Spirit, juxtaposed against her father's black-and-white image of God. My gratitude goes out to every single one of you who has cheered me on. Thank you to the many pre-release readers wrote to tell me how much you loved my little Grace Marie, shared my good news, and talked about my book to others. Today I truly can say that all is indeed well with my soul.

*******************************************
Please join me for my long-awaited Launch Party on Facebook!


2 comments:

  1. "Peace like a river..."

    It has only come to me in reading the words to this song I thought I knew so well that it contains the title of one of my favorite books.

    I love the tub, Eldonna. You may have been born in Michigan, but I think you're actually a CA gal through and through. You carry that vibe in what you love and what you do. (as seen from afar, but that's how you strike me)

    Exactly two weeks! You're doing it right - having the online launch party won't make it seem like so deflating/lackluster! I didn't do that. All I recall is the day DIXIE DUPREE launched, my phone was going off like crazy - bottle caps popping every few seconds. (yeah, I chose the sound of what sounds like a beer cap hitting the counter for my social media tones - haha)

    Many say they didn't know what to expect on launch day, but some were disappointed in the "crickets." I think I was already too darn giddy for all the good things that had already happened, so the quiet (except for my phone) was sort of nice to dwell in. I think I recall spending the day thinking "you did it. Your book is now sitting on shelves all across the U.S."

    Revel in the moments. You can only be a debut author once. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend used to say the stork dropped me on the wrong (Lake Michigan) west coast. ;) Thank you Donna for the important reminder to just BE in this wonderful moment. Following in yours and other author's footsteps has made this path lighter and brighter.

      Delete