Friday, February 8, 2019

Clover Blue: The Boy and The Book

“Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you. --Kahlil Gibran

I was a child of the seventies but had little awareness of the cultural revolution that book-ended my rural upbringing. Sheltered within the bubble of small town life, the most scandalous thing ever was when a busload of hippies stopped off at our tiny ice cream parlor clad in flowing gauze and scanty bikinis. 

I remember being seriously bummed that I'd missed the spectacle. Although I was the daughter of an evangelical preacher, it was clear to me from a very young age that a drunken stork must have mistaken Lake Michigan for the Pacific Ocean when he dropped me on our doorstep. While other children were playing hopscotch and jumping rope, my teachers would often find me writing poetry in a field beyond the playground. By the age of thirteen I was writing songs, a guitar slung over my back as I hiked beyond the meadow near our home. I loved my family dearly but I longed to find my tribe.

In writing CLOVER BLUE I wanted to draw a thread through the the needle of those early longings. Not just the fantasy of what it might be like to grow up in a 1970s commune, but someone who grapples with invisible loyalties between family and tribe. The book opens when young Blue attends a birth. He's been told that all the women are equally his mothers. It's not until he witnesses the love between sister-mother Jade and the biological father (Coyote) of their newborn baby that an ache rises in his belly. He wants to know, must know, which of the women gave birth to him. 

“Who did I come out of?”
All heads instantly turn toward me. I look at Willow. “Are you my mother?” Then down at Jade, now clutching the baby to her bare chest. “Or you?”
Harmony stares at me, her big eyes suddenly mirroring my question, the one I’m pretty sure I’m not supposed to ask. 

And so begins Clover Blue's quest for truth. Although community leader Goji promises to reveal more when Blue is older, he's fed mere scraps of truth and anecdotal tidbits as he and his best friend Harmony try to weave together the story of his history. Despite his yearning, Clover Blue is conflicted about delving into the unknown because he loves his community and strives to follow the teachings of The Peaceful Way. It isn't until he comes of age and begins to unravel inconsistencies in the stories he's been told that he becomes quietly obsessed with his heritage.

If I had to describe Clover Blue to an interviewer, I'd say he's intelligent, earnest and eager to please. He's a dedicated follower of the community teachings who embraces what he considers an idyllic life, living in a tree house, surrounded by nature and people who love him. It's Blue's best friend Harmony who brings out his lighter side, constantly taunting him with her wicked humor and relentless teasing. Harmony and Blue have been joined at the hip since her mother (Gaia) brought her to SFC at the age of five. Their kinship is a mix of brother-sister rivalry and devoted comrades. 

CLOVER BLUE by Eldonna Edwards
I love writing coming-of-age stories because they are a reflection of the people we were before we became the people we are. It probably comes as no surprise that I eventually moved to California in search of my tribe. I don't live in a commune, but I have created a sacred space to live, love, laugh and write. I can't wait for you to meet Clover Blue, and hopefully, fall in love with him as deeply as I did. Perhaps you'll recognize someone you know. Perhaps that person is a younger version of the one in your mirror.


What about you? What were your deepest longings as you came of age? How have those early desires manifested in your adult life?

*****

Our First Review!

I hope you'll pop over and read this extraordinary in-depth review of CLOVER BLUE by D.B. MooneI'd love it if you leave a comment on her book blog and don't hesitate to share it!

"Mesmerizing and riveting. Eldonna Edwards has written an artistically gripping story that will leave you book-drunk. Clover Blue is a profound, coming of age literary piece of work by an author without limit." --D.B. Moone Book Reviews


CLOVER BLUE is available for Pre-Order at: Barnes & NobleHudson BooksellersAmazon,  Books-A-MillionIndieBoundWalmart,  Amazon (Kindle)AppleGoogleKobo, and Nook.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, the pictures fit the post perfectly! I'm looking forward to reading. As you know, we grew up at the same time, but I got to see first hand the experiences of that 70s vibe. My first outdoor concert was on the campus of NC State. Our house was close to the University. But I remember that day, and the person I was with. I shouldn't have been with him - he was 19, I was 15. Mom let me go b/c she was a bit naive like that. Wow. Some obscure band was playing, blue sky, green grass, colorful blankets, coolers, the scent of pot and the people, long haired, covered with daisy chained flower crowns, skirted, blue-jeaned, barefooted, bare chested, bell bottoms and the scent of . . . pot.

    Great intro to Clover, and congrats on that glowing review! I know it's only the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mention of pot twice - intentional. Haha! I thought I was SO cool b/c I was witnessing people smoking - and SMELLING IT.

      Delete
    2. Oh, there's a lot of pot in CLOVER BLUE. One of the Olders (Doobie) grows weed between rows of corn and always has a joint tucked behind his ear. He's a sweet fella with a soft heart that keeps getting broken. I smoked very little pot in my younger years because I didn't liked the effects. Made me paranoid and gave me a headache. :/

      Delete
    3. You went to an outdoor concert at 15? I would have been so envious. What you've described was my teen fantasy. I loved building this hippie-world in my book, although they don't consider themselves hippies so much as enlightened seekers. haha Thank you for your kind words about the post and the review. I can't wait for you to read CLOVER BLUE!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this book! I've never really questioned anything, but I'm thinking this book have me asking alot of questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be excited to hear what questions the book brings up for you...

      Delete