Sunday, January 21, 2018

Dear Rosemary: A Love Letter to Librarians

Eldonna Edwards author THIS I KNOW
Dear Rosemary,

My sister taught me to read. An avid reader herself, Nita turned empty milk crates into desks, our living room into a private schoolhouse, and my younger sister and me into her wide-eyed students. It was during those not-so-lazy summer mornings and blizzardy winter afternoons that she'd assign us articles from a dog-eared set of encyclopedias to read and report on. Oddly enough, Rosemary, I loved her game of "school at home." Not just because I could sneak peeks at naked statues, but because thanks to my older sister's penchant for making learning fun, I entered kindergarten at a fifth grade reading level. 

We had no library in our tiny town. The closest one was miles away and I didn't discover it until our second grade teacher took us on a field trip there. I remember crawling around on the floor like a monkey in a banana store, pulling stacks of books off the shelf and devouring them on the spot. I fell instantly in love with Dr. Seuss and all his crazy thing-a-ma-words. Eventually I graduated to The Bobbsey Twins, Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and Nancy Drew mysteries, all recommended by the smiling librarian. Oh how I loved the crunch of that stamp as she punched a date next to my name on the yellow card from the book's pouch!

Flash forward fifty years to when I received the very first netgalley* review for my debut novel, THIS I KNOW. Now, I try not to look outside of myself for validation but I'd be lying if I said reviews don't matter. Of course they do. The experts tell us authors never to read reviews of our own books. But for me, that's like putting a do-not-look note over David's junk on Michelangelo's  encyclopedia page. So of course I took a deep breath and clicked on your review.

"Once in a while you read a book that just takes your breath away with its beauty and truth. This I Know is such a book. In the mid twentieth century Midwest, 11-year-old Grace Carter tries to hide her gift from her father. The Evangelical preacher would believe that Grace’s gift for finding things, knowing things about a person’s past or future were akin to witchcraft. She certainly doesn’t want him to know that she’s able to speak to her twin, Issac, who died at birth. Luckily, Grace has her aunt Pearl who understands that Grace’s ability is a gift and who offers the only comfort the girl knows. As Grace’s own family becomes more distant, she finds friends in the community, other “throw away” people, who become her true family. This is one of the most beautiful coming of age stories I’ve ever read, and it will stay with me for a long, long time." -Rosemary, librarian

And suddenly I felt the glitter of happiness sprinkling down upon my head. Not because someone liked my book. Because you liked it, Rosemary. Someone who reads and recommends books for a living. Someone who holds the power of "yes" and with the ability, as Barbara Kingsolver said, "to save souls." I'll likely never know who you are, but I will never forget you because you were my first, my virgin 5-star review, my, dare I say...hero. I understand that not everyone will agree with your review but it won't matter. Because this? This is something no critic can ever take from me.

So thank you Rosemary for reading my book and sharing your thoughts. Thank you Nita for teaching me to read and Mrs. Swanson for taking a bunch of wild eight-year-olds to the public library. Thank you to the library patrons who read and request books. And a huge thank you to all the librarians who pull a book from the shelf and whisper, "This one will take your breath away..."

With love and gratitude,

Eldonna

What about you? Did you visit the library as a child? Do you still utilize your local library? Do you have a favorite go-to librarian you look to for book recommendations? What books/people set you on the path to a lifetime of reading?



*Netgalley is a website where industry professionals like booksellers, trade reviewers and librarians can read new books before they release. 

10 comments:

  1. As a child, many years ago, the library was not nearby and my parents worked. But, my mother would buy me books, and i loved to read. She did also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your mom and all the lucky kids whose parents instill a love of reading in them!

      Delete
  2. I love to go to the library. Whether it’s to take out, return, look at their used books, or just look around. My sister and I used to play school too. We would take turns being the teacher. We talk about it all the time. Thanks for stirring up such found memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucille I love hearing that you and your sister also played school. We were homeschooling before it was cool. haha

      Delete
  3. I love libraries so much that I volunteer at my local one every week! My "job" is to re-shelve the books that have been returned. It's been a great way to discover books I might never have noticed on my own. I was also a young reader. After Dick and Jane, I too read all of the Bobbsey Twin books, then Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and soon enough, school assigned reading which I never minded as much as my friends. I am so looking forward to the release of This I Know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came up "unknown"... but this is from KayR. 😉

      Delete
    2. For some reason your original comment disappeared but blooger emailed it to me:

      "I love libraries so much that I volunteer at my local one every week! My "job" is to re-shelve the books that have been returned. It's been a great way to discover books I might never have noticed on my own. I was also a young reader. After Dick and Jane, I too read all of the Bobbsey Twin books, then Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and soon enough, school assigned reading which I never minded as much as my friends. I am so looking forward to the release of This I Know!"

      Sounds like we read a lot of the same books. I love that you're volunteering at your library. I often stalk the returned books cart to find new treasures. I can't wait for you to read THIS I KNOW too!

      Delete
  4. I love your posts.

    My first experience reading was in first grade. Back then (you know what I mean - we're within a year of each other I think birthday wise if my math is right) we didn't learn to read in kindergarten. At least I didn't. But I will never forget the Reading Circle. This was how my first grade teacher set us up, and we had those Dick and Jane primers. I remember her asking me to read a sentence in a book - it was simply "Go! Go, Dick, go!" I read it perfectly, and that same sprinkle of happiness you felt above rained down on my head and she said, "VERY good, Donna!" But that happiness wasn't because of her praise...it was because something clicked in my head. I realized how important books were to me because they held letters, and those letters spelled words, and those words told me a story.

    The only library I went to was at school. We went every Wednesday when I was in grade school. It was my favorite day of the week. I always checked out the maximum - three books. Three days later they'd been read...and I had four days left before I could go back again. I LOVED the library, and still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old school in my little town was torn down when I was about four years old. My sister rescued a bunch of reading primers and other books from the rubble that she also used for her version of home-school. Dick and Jane were also my first, along with Sunday School take-homes and, of course, those weathered encyclopedias. How lucky are we to have fallen in love with letters and words and stories when our little minds were ripe for learning! And just look where it led.

      "Go! Go, Donna, go!"

      Delete